01 09 10

Monday, August 27, 2012

Wrong Era Part 2: Antiques

So its official...as if it wasn't before...I am obsessed with so many things these days...my new obsession...antique kitchen tools. I have to say I HATE it when you find something cool but then talk yourself out of buying it at the time, and then later regret it. Well this happened to me on Saturday. I found an antique flour sifter; for those of you who don't know what this is, it looks like a water can but it has a mesh bottom with holes and a crank on the side. Sifting flour used to be necessary before we had processed flour; it was to get the big granules out of the mix that weren't supposed to be there. However sifting flour still has one use that makes for good baking today, sifting adds air to the granules creating a lighter and fluffier cake or pastry. So now that you know the use, I was actually going to use it for decoration in my kitchen, you know to take care of that awkward space that no one knows what to do with above the cuboards. Unless you have made good use of your cuboards and they touch your ceiling (lucky)! So I obviously did not get it and am now sorely regretting this decision. There will be others right?! I hope so because I am quite upset with myself! I did however purchase some pretty nifty buys...one was an old pop bottle crate that had Pepsi still clearly painted. This went in my pantry- I am still in the process of organizing, but soon will post my greatest finished task to date( I hope) :). The other purchase was a set of old tractor seats...my project with that may take longer :) So now that I have told you how obsessed I am with things that are vintage... I thought I would share my cheesy potato recipe that we had with our pulled pork.

Cheesy Potatoes

1lb of country hashbrowns (thawed are best)
16oz light sour cream
10oz shredded cheddar cheese
10oz shredded colby
French Fried Onions ( 1 Large container)***
1 tsp garlic
dash of salt and pepper
1 tbsp of minced onions
Equivalence of 1 can cream of chicken ( I used the cream of whatever powder all mixed together in soup form)

In a large bowl mix potatoes, cream of soup, sour cream, minced onions, garlic,salt, pepper, 16 oz of cheese.
Pour into greased crock pot. Cook on low for 2-3 hours*
Once cooking for awhile, cheese should be slightly stringy; add in about 1/2 of french fried onions. Let cook all the way until cheese is no longer stringy.**
Once potatoes are cooked and well mixed; top off with the rest of the cheese and FF onions.

*You could put these in the oven at 350 for 45 minutes-1 hour; checking often towards the end; cheese should bubble
**If mix is dry; add a tbsp of milk at a time until you get the consistancy you want
*** You may need an extra container if you like to sneak them...can you ever have too many...YUMMY! :)


This dish is great all year round thanks to the crock pot! Enjoy and thanks for sticking around to the end! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10